Monday, February 23, 2009

Ethnography and the Recession

Ethnography is a common tool used in marketing research. It generally involves observation of a person or group of people, in their natural environment. This got me to thinking that casual observations of what is going on around you are a form of ethnography. You can’t watch or read any news without hearing how bad the economy is. Putting my ethnography skills to work, I quickly picked up the signs of a bad economy. My approach is at least more entertaining than watching the news. Some examples….

  • I can readily catch a cab right in front of my office – even on a rainy day. The last time this happened was during the dot com bust.
  • The subway train I catch every morning is packed. This may at first appear contrary to my point. But once you realize they are now running 7 or 8 car trains instead of 10 car trains, you know why they are packed.
  • The 3 people ahead of me at McDonalds (yes I do eat at McDonalds occasionally) all ordered off of the $1.00 value menu.
  • Grocers are abandoning the “five for $5” or “ten for $10” sale ads and are advertising $1.00 prices.
  • There’s no longer a line out the door at the organic salad place.
  • Magazines are getting thinner due to less ads.
  • There is a subtle trend toward smaller sample sizes for research projects.


    This list could go on and on. I’d be curious to hear what others have observed that points to a bad economy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The interview line for the new Cheesecake factory opening up in Walnut Creek, CA was enormously long.

Ken Roberts said...

Thanks Ginelle. I just returned from NYC and plan to add a part II with my observations from there.