Monday, March 2, 2009

Let it snow!


The Northeast is being slammed by a late winter snow storm today. Major cities like Boston, New York, and Philadelphia are reporting substantial accumulation, delayed or canceled flights, and school closures. Even our clients in Baltimore could not get to their offices today. Many people stayed home from work today or are telecommuting.

What does this mean for marketing research? I have written before about the impact of sample deployment and the time of day. Without proper sample management, this can distort study results. A big Nor’easter, like the one hitting today, could also impact study results. Because of the storm, and many people staying home, are you likely to get more or less interviews from the Northeast today? Is their frame of mind different today? Will you get a different demographic profile today, perhaps more working moms than usual?

These are all things to think about when deploying sample. I’ve always said “I love a good snow storm, as long as I don’t have to travel in it”, but now I might also say “I love a good snow storm, as long as I don’t have to deploy sample”.

No comments: