Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tech Challenged


We recently completed an online survey via intercept on our client’s website. Given the nature of the project, I suspect we reached many individuals who have never or rarely completed an online survey (fresh respondents!)

As is typical practice, we included a toll-free number that individuals could call with any questions or if they needed help. We had more calls during this survey than we have ever seen. People were confused about using the next button in the survey, they didn’t understand they can not use the letter “o” for the number zero when entering a numeric value, etc.

Research professionals frequently forget that our respondents can be tech challenged. To this end, I was excited to hear about the introduction of http://www.pc.com/. Kudos to Intel for creating this site. It is a site, minus technical lingo, to help novices and less sophisticated users. Sure it does let visitors shop for computers, all with Intel processors, but it also gives simple, sound advice.

Check it out!

2 comments:

rmason said...

Agreed. I found the "PC 101" information to be presented in a very practical way! I sent the link to members of my family who have struggled with computer use over the years. I'm sure they'll find it helpful...

Ken Roberts said...

Thanks rmason. My older sister is extremely tech challenged. I've sent her the link. I'll be curious to see how she does. After all, she fits the profile of many typical survey respondents.